The Green Veg we love to hate!

The Green Veg we love to hate!
Broccoli waiting for love.

Thursday, 24 May 2012

A debt to Chocolate Covered Broccoli


As I touched on in my first post I was inspired to start this blog having stumbled across the concept of 'Chocolate Covered Broccoli'. Generally the idea of using game mechanics to engage and encourage learners with subject matter which they may not naturally find interesting.
While I may have just come to it, this is far from being a new idea, and in fact the material that got me piqued my interest is from a conference 3 years ago and explored 'Intrinsic'(making the learning part of the game play)  versus 'Extrinsic' (making the learning secondary ) approaches when applied to gamification of learning.  It is a short, and for me though provoking presentation and it can be found here feel free to draw your own conclusions.
I like this presentation for a couple of reasons:
·         It applies some level of rigour to the topic, rather than just accepting that any form of 'learning game must be good' for learners
·         It gets to the point fairly quickly
·         While the generally conclusion, intrinsic is more effective that extrinsic, is not exactly a shock, it raise good questions about the challenges of developing good 'intrinsic' games based learning materials.
While this presentation is 3 years old it seems that the quality and value of game based learning is still an issue and while engagement and fun are important, without  good solid integration of well designed learning goals and challenges then many games are just that 'games'.  I plan to explore the quality of games based learning  further in the future posts, but for now I would say that if someone is trying to sell you a 'Learning Game' either a parent,  teacher, or school administrator that you look very closely at how the learning is woven into the fabric of the activity, before you part with either your, or your schools money.

No comments:

Post a Comment